Reed Musicians At Risk of "Saxophone Lung"
Not properly cleaning reed instruments can lead to harmful "saxophone lung" in musicians, according to a new study.
New research reveals that reed instruments like clarinet and saxophone can be detrimental to your health if not properly cleaned.
Lead researcher Marissa Shams and her team found that musicians can develop allergic pulmonary disease to specific funguses that accumulate over time in the instrument's reed.
Shams said the rare disease, known as Saxophone Lung, is often misdiagnosed as mold allergy because both illnesses are characterized by persistent cough and wheezing.
Researchers said that it is very important to diagnose Saxophone Lung since treatment with corticosteroids alone is not enough. Researchers said symptoms will continue if mold is not removed fro the instrument.
The findings were presented at the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology's (ACAAI) Annual Scientific Meeting in Baltimore.