Day Care Disaster: Little Girl Suffers Effects Of THC Exposure [VIDEO]
A 2-year old girl was treated at the emergency room of the Bryan East Campus in Lincoln, Nebraska and was confirmed to have suffered the effects of THC exposure after eating cookies served at her daycare on Monday.
The authorities have determined that the daycare teacher, Michelle Nicklas, had used the same pan to make marijuana brownies over the weekend and the cookies she made for the children. While they did not find any marijuana in her home, the Lancaster county sheriff was able to recover several left-over cookies that were used for testing, the Lincoln Star Journal reported.
The sheriff was uncertain if the pan Nicklas used was properly cleaned before baking the cookies in them which could have been the reason why her ward felt the effects of THC exposure.
The girl was observed by the doctors as lethargic and sleepy. Her parents had rushed her to the emergency room when they saw she was not acting normally after coming home from daycare. The authorities are encouraging that the other kids at the facility also be tested because they might be under the effects of THC exposure, the Washington Post reported.
While her THC levels are yet to be determined, the Department of Health and Human Service immediately revoked her license and ordered the children's place be closed. Nicklas was also cited for child abuse by the sheriff.
The effects of the exposure to tetrahydrocannabinol can vary for every individual but can include the ones exhibited by the victim. The effects include slowed perception of time, dizziness and feeling heavy.
The toddler has been admitted to the hospital for further observation. It is still unknown how long the effects of the THC will last as the ability to metabolize the cannabinoid varies from every individual.