Monday, October 25, 2021
Stay connected with us

Home > News

Vets Remove 43 1/2 Socks from a Great Dane

Update Date: Sep 04, 2014 09:24 AM EDT

Dog owners across the world know that their furry friends have an affinity for socks. While most dogs chew them, in the rare case, a few will eat them. According to a veterinarian, a three-year-old Great Dane was brought in to the DoveLewis Animal Hospital located in Portland, OR after getting sick from eating socks. Turns out, the super-sized pooch had swallowed 43 1/2 socks.

Apparently the Great Dane has showed an obsession with socks in the past. However, the extent of his love for socks was unknown until now. After the giant pooch started feeling sick, the owners brought him into the animal hospital where he had X-rays taken first. The X-rays revealed "a severely distended stomach and a large quality of foreign material," reported by the Veterinary Practice News. The dog subsequently underwent surgery to remove the socks.

"We opened up his stomach and kept removing sock after sock of all different shapes and sizes," Dr. Ashley Magee stated to CNN affiliate KGW.

The spokeswoman from the hospital, Shawn Harch, stated that this case might have been the strangest one that the clinic has ever encountered. It prompted the vet clinic to submit the case to the yearly, "They Ate WHAT?" contest held at Veterinary Practice News. The Great Dane earned the third spot that came with a $500 prize. The other two top spots went to an exotic frog that ate 30 ornamental rocks from the bottom of its cage and a German shorthaired pointer that ate a metal shish kabob skewer.

The Great Dane was allowed to go home a day after his surgery. He has fully healed from his surgery and has not had another encounter with a sock.

See Now: What Republicans Don't Want You To Know About Obamacare

Get the Most Popular Stories in a Weekly Newsletter
© 2017 Counsel & Heal All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation

EDITOR'S Choices