580 US Pets Die After Eating Jerky From China
Around 600 pets in US have died after having meat jerky treats from China. Further 3000 pets have also fallen ill as the US Food and Drug Administration has called help from vets and pet owners.
In the last five years, US Food and Drug Administration has witnessed reports involving 3,600 dogs and 10 cats. In all these cases received 580 of them have died.
After conducting more than thousand tests, FDA visited the manufacturers of jerky treats n Chine, but they are yet to find out the exact reason of those many deaths.
“This is one of the most elusive and mysterious outbreaks we’ve encountered,” said Bernadette Dunham, director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine according to The Telegraph. “Our beloved four-legged companions deserve our best effort, and we are giving it.”
“Our fervent hope as animal lovers is that we will soon find the cause of – and put a stop to – these illnesses, ” she added.
The FDA is asking vets to closely track the behaviour of their pets and send reports in case of any symptom is detected.
The jerky treat that are made of duck, chicken, dried fruit, sweet potatoes have its effect in just hours. They start experiencing urinary problems and their appetite is decreased too. They symptoms also include diarrhoea and vomiting.
“I think that what it tells us is that the intoxicant is something that we’re not used to dealing with as a toxin in North America, ” said Kendal Harr, a veterinary clinic pathologist according to The Telegraph.
Back in the starting of this year, a number of jerky treats were banned from markets after discovering the mixture of six drugs in them.