Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Stay connected with us

Home > Physical Wellness

Shih Tzu Dog Bite Costs Canadian Woman An Arm and Two Legs

Update Date: Jul 22, 2013 05:49 PM EDT
Close

A rare infection from a dog bite cost a Canadian woman three of her limbs.

According to Ottawa Citizen, Christine Caron, a 49-year-old single mother of four from Ottawa, was reportedly playing tug-o-war with her three-year-old Shih Tzu when the dog accidentally bite one of her knuckles while trying to get a better grip on the rope.

Caron said that afterwards, her three other dogs came over to lick her wound.

"It didn't seem like a big deal," she told the daily Canadian newspaper.

However, Caron fell into coma a few days after the accident.  Six weeks later, when she woke up in hospital, doctors told her that they needed to amputate her left arm and both her legs after the infection spread.

According to AFP, the Capnocytophaga canimorsus bacteria, which was responsible Caron's infection, is commonly found in dog saliva.  However, experts say it rarely leads to infection in humans. Since 1976, only 200 human cases have been reported around the world, according to the Public health Agency of Canada. 

See Now: What Republicans Don't Want You To Know About Obamacare

Get the Most Popular Stories in a Weekly Newsletter
© 2017 Counsel & Heal All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation