Baking Bad: 25 People Hospitalized in Germany after Eating Rolls Laced with Rat Poison
Twenty-five people are in intensive care at a Germany hospital after having eaten bread rolls laced with rat poison.
The employees of the plastics company ate many of the bread rolls, despite the fact that they were coated with strange red pellets. It was only after consumption of the meals that they suspected that they should not have eaten them. Reports indicate that the nibblers had not noticed the substance on the bread rolls, and that an observant person noticed the pellets later in the morning.
Realizing that they had made the wrong choice, they called emergency services. As a result, 150 emergency staff members and a bevy of ambulances were sent to the scene.
The office was also greeted with a helicopter, which was flown to the scene in order to transport the remaining bread rolls to a laboratory.
Today, the laboratory confirmed that the bread rolls were laced with rat poison. According to the BBC, none of the 25 people who consumed the bread rolls had displayed symptoms indicative of poisoning.
"We don't believe the amount of poison used would have been deadly, but it could have caused serious illness," police spokesman Frank Troika said to the Associated Press.
The police and physicians are not sure yet how long the poison will take to work its way through people's systems, fearing that it may be a slow-acting poison.
Police are also still making sure that everyone who ate the bread rolls is in the process of receiving medical treatment. They ask that anyone who ate the rolls and is not in the hospital come forward.
The plastics company is located in Steinfeld, Lower Saxony in the northwestern area of the country. The name of the company and of the staff members have not been released to the press.
It is unclear who might have delivered or prepared the baked goods, or what the motive may have been for the crime. It is also unclear why the staff members presumed that the rolls were safe to eat.