Lethal Toxin Found In A Tea, Linked To Poisoning Incidents [VIDEO]
In two separate incidents, a 50-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man were rushed to the hospital and were immediately resuscitated after consuming tea product that caused poisoning.
The incident happened an hour after the victims consumed tea with leaves brought at a Chinatown business at Sun Wing Wo Trading Corporation, a report on CBS SF Bay said. The victims suffered abnormal heart pressures and are now facing a serious near-death situation and are taken care of in an Intensive Care Units for close monitoring.
Laboratory tests were made and the tea product was found to have Aconite Leaves, a plant-based poison that can cause lethal health problems, health care officials said to the U.S.A Today.
As of the time being, there is yet a cure for Aconite poisoning so health officials are warning those who have purchased the same tea not to proceed in its consumption and to dispose of it to avoid accidental drinking of it from those who does not know its danger. The tea products are being pulled out from the stores and are tracing the root of contamination.
According to Dr. Thomas Aragon, a San Francisco Health Officer, aconite poisoning is lethal and immediately attacks the heart muscles and arteries. Its symptoms include gastrointestinal abnormalities such as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. It can also affect sensory capabilities which result to the numbing of the mouth and face, weakness in the limbs and even to the extent of paralysis. Above all, it troubles the cardiovascular flow with chest pains, irregular heartbeats, low blood pressure, palpitations, and difficulty in catching one's breath. It may lead to death when not prevented.
Aconite Roots are usually toxic but with proper and adequate processing, it may be used. In addition, aconite is a famous Asian herbal medicine that's used to treat pain and bruising. It may also be called as wolfsbane, helmet flower, and monkshood.