John Muir Elementary School in Seattle Closed Two Days In A Row Due To Norovirus Outbreak [VIDEO]
John Muir, an Elementary School in Seattle, will close again Friday, due to a Norovirus outbreak.
Last Thursday, the school was closed for cleaning and disinfecting because of reported incidents of students and staff infected with the virus. The administration feared for its spread thus, deciding to suspend classes, The Seattle Times reported.
The Elementary School decided to close-off because the virus may spread with a touch or contact with surfaces and objects that have been infected by the virus. When the contamination reaches a person's eyes, mouth or nose, the virus would then be surely passed on.
Norovirus' first outbreak was in 1972 and was originally called Norwalk virus, which are viruses that are highly contagious and could easily spread in crowded places like classrooms, markets and restaurants. Symptoms include severe stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea which could lead to a more serious acute gastroenteritis, according to the WebMD.
Edward Gaydos, a pediatric doctor at Cleveland Clinic, said that norovirus may occur all year round but it strikes the most when it's winter time that's why it is branded as a Winter Vomiting Bug.
Although the virus is common, it might be serious for young kids and older people alike. In just 12-48 hours after exposure to the virus, varied symptoms may occur with amenable to severe symptoms.
It can be prevented with the frequent washing of hands with soap and water before and after eating and scouring clean vegetables and fruits before consumption. Good hygiene and cleanliness are one of the major keys to dodge your system from norovirus.
As of the moment, Seattle Public Schools (SPS) have not yet sent out an advisory on until when John Muir Elementary School will resume its classes.