Morrison Beef Slices Listeria: Product Recall Due To Bacteria Deadlier Than Salmonella
Morrison, one of the leading grocery stores in the United Kingdom recalled its Ready to Eat Peppered Beef Slices after being discovered to be infected with listeria. The said bug can cause meningitis and is currently responsible for the most number of UK deaths due to food-borne bacteria.
The Independent UK reports that listeria is even deadlier than salmonella. These bacteria were found in the 150g packet of the ready to eat beef slices with a use-by date of February 21. The said food product was contaminated with listeria monocytogenes that can lead to listeriosis.
The disease results in muscle pain, chills, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can cause serious and lethal complications and is considered as one of the most common causes of meningitis in newborns, pregnant women, and the elderly.
A full refund will be given upon returning the said product to Morrisons. The warming initially came from the Food Standards Agency. Infection can range from severe to serious complications according to a report from The Sun UK. People with a weak immune system can also contract the disease. Morrisons has already provided point-of-sale notices to ass stores and market stalls that have been recorded to have sold the contaminated product.
Pregnant women are at risk to miscarriages, premature delivery, serious infection for the newborn and stillbirth when inflicted with the bug. If the infection spreads to the nervous system, it can also cause headaches, stiff neck, confusion, convulsions, and loss of balance.
The disease can be diagnosed through a physical examination. This will several questions from your doctor about your symptom, food items that you have recently eaten and the environment that you have at home and at work. Blood tests or spinal fluid test can be also performed to diagnose listeriosis.
Listeriosis is recorded to be responsible for an estimated 260 number of deaths in the United States. In the European Union, death due to infection from the bug caused 210 deaths and 2160 recorded illnesses in 2014.