Dog Died After Licking Food From Recycling Bin
A family dog, Dexter the cockapoo, suffered multiple organ failure after licking the bread mold from an overturned recycling bin. Dexter was in the garden where the empty bin was blown over where he licked the traces of food. Minutes after, the six-year-old dog vomited, threw a fit and was rushed to the vet in Chesham, Buckinghamshire.
Owner Sarah Dent, 42, from Hertfordshire said she had not washed the bin out and had no idea how dangerous and highly toxic bread mold and its residue was. Sarah and her family are urging other pet owners to keep bins out of reach of children and pets.
Sarah's husband was at work when it happened and she was with their three children when they went to the vet. She was advised to go home and wait for news on Dexter's condition.
When they returned home she saw Georgie, their other dog, a three-year-old cockapoo lying on the kitchen floor. Georgie licked Dexter's vomit and poisoned herself, Sarah then rushed Georgie to the hospital.
According to The Sun, both dogs underwent emergency treatment to reverse the toxic shock but were then placed in induced comas. The next few days Georgie's condition began to improve, but Dexter's condition deteriorated and began suffering multiple organ failure. After ten days the family was left with the decision to have him put down.
Additionally, in a report by Daily Mail, Sarah and husband Peter, 41, a software consultant, lives with their children Jamie, 14, Jude, 11, and Joseph, 6, in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. Dexter's treatment is expected to be as much as £7,000, of which insurance will cover £3,000. Sarah said the family would continue to recycle but would ensure the trash bins are always secured.
The family was devastated with Dexter's death and wants to warn other households about the hidden health hazard from food waste bins. Sarah has shared their story in social media and the vet has spoken to radio stations to raise awareness.