Shigellos Vomitting Bug Outbreak Sent Toddlers To The Hospital
Sixteen-month-old James Logan was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance twice last week after suffering seizures. Shigellosis is a bug that has been sweeping Britain. The NHS said Shigellosis is caused by poor hygiene and can be spread through items such as door knobs in schools or workplaces.
James was rushed to the hospital twice. He suffered from diarrhea and sickness on Monday and Tuesday. Charlotte Cullum, 24, James' mother said he was on the floor, face down and making a strange noise. James was shaking all over, from his arms down to his legs.
When his mom picked him up she said he was all floppy. James was out cold for 40 minutes after he arrived at the hospital. Charlotte said the second seizure was awful as James was screaming and having a fit.
According to The Mirror, doctors thought it was a random virus at first. But James suffered another seizure on Wednesday morning and was rushed back to Basildon Hospital in Essex where he was kept under observation for 36 hours. Blood tests showed shigellosis.
James' cousin, Ruby, 17-months-old, was also rushed to the hospital. Ruby caught the bug after she visited James' house early last week. Her parents and grandmother caught the vomiting bug from Ruby.
Parents have been warned to be vigilant about the bug. The infection is more common in young children, but anyone can get infected.
Shigellosis effects are nasty, such as chronic diarrhea, painful stomach cramps, high fever and nausea. The symptoms last for around five to seven days.
Treatment includes taking lots of fluids to prevent dehydration caused by diarrhea. If there is blood in diarrhea, antibiotic medicine is needed. If a child develops Shigellosis call a doctor immediately.
According to The Sun, about 90 people have been reported to have shigellosis in Stoke-on-Trent. People with symptoms are advised to stay at home for 48 hours, and not return to school or work until tested and results show they are free from infection. To stop it from spreading wash hands thoroughly, make sure to disinfect properly after using the toilet.