Easter Bunny Chocolates Recall: Small Battery Found In Treats
Co-op has recalled 3,000 of its hollow milk chocolate bunnies after an alleged tampering incident in one product. A small battery was discovered in one of the bunnies which can be a potential choking hazard and can cause burns if swallowed.
The Food Standards Agency received the notice on Saturday from a 26-year-old customer; Tammy-Louise Dundon, who found the battery in one of the bunnies in Nottingham. Her daughter Sophia Wood bit into the chocolate ears where she discovered a single-cell battery inside the hollow figure.
Dundon said she wondered where her daughter got the battery. Then she realized that they didn't have any of those batteries at home. Her daughter said she found it rattling inside the Easter bunny chocolate.
The National Crime Agency and the police are working together to investigate the food tampering incident. It is considered a criminal matter as the action suggests a deliberate attempt to harm children.
A Co-op spokesman said "The health and safety of our customers is uppermost in our minds. As a precaution, we have begun a UK-wide product recall and have withdrawn the product from sale."
Wales Online reported that thousands have been sold nationwide. They have warned consumers not to eat the 120-gram Easter bunny chocolate treats and return the product for a full refund.
There was a similar sabotage incident last Christmas where hollow chocolate Santas were targeted and contaminated. Co-op had ordered a recall of the products in December. The incident was found to be an attempt to damage the sales and reputation of the Co-op according to Daily Mail.
Such attempts have been linked to criminals trying to extort money from the company and supermarkets. Another possibility is an attempt at revenge by a disgruntled employee or customer. This is not the first attempt to sabotage supermarket food.
Concerned citizens may call Co-op's customer services on 0800 0686 727 or 02036153908, and email firstname.lastname@example.org.