E-cigarette Exploding: Man Gets Second Degree Burn, Loses 7 Teeth After Vape Blows Up
30-year-old Andrew Hall from Idaho lost seven of his teeth and got second degree burns on his face when a vape suddenly exploded while he was using it. He was quickly brought to a local hospital where pieces of plastic in his lips and throat had to be removed by the doctor. It is assumed that the explosion had something to do with the batteries.
According to reports, Hall was vaping before heading to work when his e-cigarette suddenly exploded in his face. He said he did everything he needed to properly maintain it. “I’ve been doing this for about a year now and assure you I did not do anything I wasn’t supposed to,” he explained.
Photos of his face and the vape after the explosion are now circulating online and it clearly shows the battery of the pen has exploded. Although it was not indicated what type of vape pen Hall was using, it is assumed that the battery is the cause of the malfunction, just like the other cases of vape explosion reported in 2009.
U.S. Fire Administration confirms that the construction of the vape unit makes it very possible for a malfunction and “behave like flaming rockets when a battery fails”. However, some netizens are accusing Hall of faking the incident, which lead him to post more photos of the place where the explosion happened. The additional photos included images of the damaged room, torch marks on the roof and wall, and broken sink.
In Hall’s post, he shared that he no longer uses vape and hopes that what happened to him will discourage others from using e-cigarettes. Andrew Hall is a car salesman, father of three and has been using the vape for about a year before the incident happened.