Friday, April 10, 2020
Stay connected with us

Home > Physical Wellness

Know About Alcohol Poisoning: Dangerous Health Effects, Symptoms And Treatment

Update Date: May 01, 2016 04:20 AM EDT
Close

Drinking excessive alcohol can sometimes be very dangerous for the health. When a person consumes large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time it results in Alcohol poisoning.

What is Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is a condition in which the body's blood alcohol level increases to an extent that it is considered toxic (poisonous).

Rapid drinking is a common cause of alcohol poisoning. However, the condition can also occur when a person accidentally drinks alcohol-containing household products.

Dangers of Alcohol Poisoning-

 An overdose of alcohol can adversely affect the bodily functions including breathing, heart rate, blood pressure and the gag reflex. Sometimes, the patient may even fall into coma.

Vomiting is common for someone who is suffering from alcohol overdose since alcohol irritates the stomach. Choking while vomiting can even cause death by asphyxiation in a person who is unconscious and intoxicated.

The blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of an affected person continue to increase even while he or she is unconscious or has stopped drinking. This is because alcohol already present in the stomach and intestine continues to circulate throughout the body through the bloodstream resulting in worsening of symptoms, reported College Drinking.

Signs and Symptoms-

Symptoms of alcohol poisoning include confusion, vomiting, seizures, unconsciousness, slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute), low body temperature (hypothermia), irregular breathing (a gap of more than 10 seconds between breaths), bluish skin color and paleness, reported Mayo Clinic.

Know What Not To Do-

There are many myths associated with how to deal with people who've had an alcohol overdose. Some of the common myths include leave the patient to sleep it off, give them a cup of coffee, put them under a cold shower, walk them around and let them drink more alcohol.

Remember, these are just myths, and they don't work.

What To Do-

In case you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, do not wait for all symptoms to be present and seek immediate medical care. Remember to never leave the patient to "sleep it off" as the patient who has passed out is at high risk of dying. Dial 999 immediately to request an ambulance.

It's always better to be safe than sorry.

See Now: What Republicans Don't Want You To Know About Obamacare

Get the Most Popular Stories in a Weekly Newsletter
© 2017 Counsel & Heal All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation