5 Benefits Of School Breakfast
Having breakfast as provided by the school will sometimes encounter little involvement from student population due to a hectic timetable, tardiness, inability to mingle with the student population, and the belief of humiliation that only students from low-income families are involved in the school breakfast program.
According to USDA, the School Breakfast Program is of the same kind as the National School Lunch Program which caters to qualified students by giving free or reduced priced morning meals as specified by Federal conditions.
A school breakfast consists as mentioned in the link for grades K-5, 6-8, and 9-12 should extra whole grains, no presence of trans fat per serving and a fitting amount of calories. As of the school year 2014, it was arranged that more servings of fruit should be included as well as the lessening of sodium.
It is important however that the dilemma of a student skipping school breakfast should be countered with an improved participation from the student body as this also directly benefits the teachers and the students.
What are the benefits of a School Breakfast Program to a student body as it has been linked not just to the health of a student but also to the academic and cognitive growth as well as mental health?
- It is good for the mind as students who participate in the school breakfast program can concentrate better and be more alert in class discussions. It has been noted that students who are starved prior to class have difficulty recalling academic dialogues thus promoting poor class performance.
- A school breakfast program is closely associated with the decrease in student absenteeism and tardiness as it promotes a positive behavioral pattern. Therefore creating a beneficial learning environment in the classroom.
- It has aided in the school's weight loss program as a school breakfast not only ends hunger but will also be a regular source of healthy food intake diminishing obesity.
- A family of low-income means will greatly benefit from a school breakfast program not only as in most cases the served meals are much healthier than the ones being served at home but also, it reduces the tight family food budget.
- A healthy student population would greatly mean reduced nurse visits from the unwell students.
- Providing children with breakfast at school helps to end hunger and children who eat breakfast regularly have a better quality of nutrient intake and are less likely to be overweight or obese.
Similarly, free meals for growing children have extended their scope beyond the school grounds, according to No Kid Hungry.
This time now, summer meal locations have been securely tapped by local community centers and churches in places near you wherein there is no need to apply for eligibility.