Sunday, April 22, 2018
Stay connected with us

Home > News

One Dead from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Michigan Due to Broken Pool Heater [VIDEO]

Update Date: Apr 04, 2017 07:06 AM EDT

A possible carbon monoxide poisoning happened at the Quality Inn & Suites hotel pool at Southern Michigan, where one teenage boy died and a total of 14 kids, as well as a few adults, were rushed to the hospital after the exposure from the chemical.

A 13-year-old boy named Bryan Douglas Watts of Niles was pronounced dead after being rushed to the hospital. The rest of the children and those who were sent to the area hospitals were treated and are now monitored. Thankfully, three of the victims were already released but the rest are still admitted for treatment and monitoring, the CNN reports.

The possible carbon monoxide poisoning in Michigan was the result of the occurrence of 800 percent parts per million of carbon monoxide in the pool area. The standard and safe exposure to the chemicals is only for about 50 parts per million- the results too far above the regulated exposure.

According to the United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration, workplace exposure should be eight hours per day with at least five days per week for the healthy, normal adult.

Children were found unconscious inside and within the indoor pool area. The hotel staff found the kids lying around and immediately called the 911. The Niles Police Department responded abruptly and rushed the victims to hospitals. Don Wiles, the Fire Department Captain said that it is unclear how long the children were unconscious before they were found. The high levels of carbon monoxide could have led the unconscious children into an unresponsive state, Wiles said in an ABC News report.

A broken pool heater in the hotel caused the carbon monoxide poisoning in Michigan. The Quality Inn hotel had a total of 24 room guests when the incident happened and they assured authorities that the entire hotel was evacuated.

Get the Most Popular Stories in a Weekly Newsletter
© 2017 Counsel & Heal All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation